Monday, June 15, 2015

{The Obligatory} 30 Before 30



I almost feel like I have to write this since it seems everyone talks about it, writes it down, posts it on instagram but as I've started I've realized a birthday is a really nice time to not only think about goals for the next year(s) but to think about accomplishments as well. We are always moving forward and focusing on what's next. It almost feels indulgent to take some time and reflect about where we've come from but it shouldn't. After all, don't you need to know where you come from to know where you are going? What's the point of doing all of this with out appreciating the exciting moments and turning points.

It's fun to look back to a year or more ago and see how much things have or have not change, where your head was back then and how some of the goals seem down right ridiculous 
  1. Move to a new home...
  2. We bought our first home almost 5 years ago and had hoped by 30 we would be able to save enough for our next home. Thankfully, given many, many situations completely out of our control, the opportunity was thrust upon us and all the signs pointed to yes (despite it seeming like and insane challenge since the idea was planted 2 days before our first baby was due). 
  3. Have a second baby....
  4. Maybe more my husbands goal than something i really articulated but the more he talked about how we'll have a second by his 30th birthday the more i realized it's something i wanted too. I'll just miss this by 3 months but close enough for me!
  5. Meet some specific and personal career goals...
  6. This happened in the fall and for the moment I feel satisfied and complete with this slice of my life. I have always been driven towards having a career. That said who knows what the next phase of life with a second (and hopefully more) children will mean. I am feeling the beginning of a quiet urge to do something more meaningful to me but the what/how/when have not revealed themselves. 
  7. Go to Africa...                                                                                                                                            This one didn't quite happen but the Hubs and i agreed this will hopefully be a 10 year anniversary trip.
  8. Be a healthier version of myself...                                                                                                                    I can't really cross this one out because this is a constant goal and some days are better/easier than others. Lately it's been harder, some because my pregnancy/toddler brain can't think of what I used to eat in my pre-mom days. Where I could definitely do better is getting more daily activity in to my life-even finding 25 minutes to do something when I first wake-up would go a long way towards this goal buuutttt I'm just so darn tired and 25 extra minutes of sleep is really nice
  9. Eat Oysters at Tomales Bay...
  10. Double check because I'll be doing this the day before my birthday to celebrate another friends birthday
  11. Bake sandwich bread regularly...
  12. Spend more time in Lake Tahoe...
  13. Thankfully my family bought a partial ownership up there making this an easy one!!
  14. Have a vegetable garden...
  15. This was part of the moving to a new home that thankfully has the perfect spot for one. The sweet hubs built me some vegetable boxes and last year was the first planting. After some decent success I'm ready to take what i have learned to be make an even more productive garden this year.
  16. Start a blog...
  17. Be a better friend by taking the time to check-in and stay in contact more frequently
  18. Prioritize to dos and let go of the things I really don't have to do                                                                        I like lists and honestly by the time I find myself with a free moment I can't remember anything without having one around (thank you iphone notes). I do get carried away though and add "nice to have", "someday", idealistic items that stress me our more than make me feel accomplished. Learning to let go of these things is an ever evolving task as changes in life make me re-prioritize but I've made strides I feel pretty good about. I know for me this is something that will be a constant goal probably throughout the rest of my life.                                                                                                                                                                                                 
I don't know what's next but I have strong faith in His plan and know for now this is where I am meant to be. This season of life is about learning to balance a few plates and let go of the things that don't matter. In this next year I look forward to learning more about how I can better apply my strengths and use them for His greater purpose.



No comments:

Post a Comment